Tuesday 12 July 2011

So easy potato salad



It is Summer!Too hot for you?I even have a poor appetite,just because of hot weather.Thanks my dear cousin,she mentioned about western people like potatos a lot in her blog (that's true,my darling likes a lot also).So I decided trying to make a easy potato salad.Why easy?Because I can do other things during making salad,and even took some photos.See,I am a new hand in the kitchen,and made the salad so successfully.I don't know who can't?



Ingredients here are for two people:2 small potatos(the size is just like my fist,small hands.),half carrot,half cumuber,and mayonnaise.(of course,you can have other ingredients in your salad as you like,like eggs.But my darling dislikes eggs mixs with salad.)

A important tool for me is "Rice cooker".Honestly I have a big kitchen,but without many kitchen stuff and tools here.This rice cooker is really useful for me.Not only for rice cooking,but also for other dishes.The other hand,I saw a Japanese TV show,they said gas bill is more expensive than eletric ones in Japan.So I tried to cook with eletric cooker more.I would like to bring a steam cooker from Taiwan next time,if I can.(Actually Japanese goverment starts advocating "Saving eletricity" after 311.But we don't use eletricity a lot usually,so it is fine for us.) 

First,wash potatos and carrots.Cut them to pieces without peeling.Pieces are quicker for cooking thoroughly.And carrots are harder to cook than potatos,so you can cut carrots to smaller pieces.


Put carrots and potatos in the pot of rice cooker,then put in 50 ml water also.Turn on "cook rice" about 15~20 mins.Now you can do other things,if you want to do.It is no necessary to check anymore.(He he,actually this photo is "done".)


When potatos is cooking,let's do something else on cucumbers.Cut them into slices,about 0.1 cm each.Then mix and pickle with a bit of salt.Don't use too much salt!Too salty cucumbers has not good tasty with mayonnaise salad.This step is just for soft cucumbers.It makes you won't have a crisp cucumbers in mash.
I made this mashed potatos for breakfast often.So during eletric cooker was cooking,I was making coffee,tea,bread and cereal in the same time.


Time is up!Open the cooker(be careful the steam) please.Use chopsticks or a fork to try them are cooked or not yet.They would be pierced,if cooked enough.


Then peel potatos and carrots.Actually it is really easy to peel them when cooked.Just rub gently,and finished peeling soon.But they were really hot at that time.You can peel later,cool them a while.I peeled them with both of fork and chopsticks.(Oh,I can't wait.)Peels of potatos and carrots is very thin.You can peel them before cook,if you think this step is too trouble for you.I don't like wasting food.Peel with a peeler would miss some part of potatos and carrots.Anyway,I have time,I can do it slowly and smoothly.It doesn't take too much time,indeed.

There is some water came out after we pickled cucumbers.Strain them with a sieve.And put cucumbers in the sieve for few mins.


Just leave cucumbers there,let's mash potatos and carrots with a spoon.
After they are mashed,add in cucumbers and mayannaise.Now it's your time.You can put a lot of mayannaise or pepper,anything you like.Just mix them gently and evenly.
Now here is potato salad!Have it with bread,even with rice like my honey did.

Such a nice and healthy summer dish,isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment